Sunday 28 October 2012

IN THE UK...

...the clocks went back an hour last night... and lots of people had Halloween parties! THAT is NOT a good combination when you have to work on the admissions unit, AND the extra hour!! WHAT a night!

MOST defiantly did not need my cradle rocking this morning!!

One of the sounds of my childhood was my mother, and grandmothers, knitting needles x As we all left home the knitting reduced... then after the grandchildren got past the baby stage it stopped.... my mum turned to counted cross stitch, and I have so beautiful examples of her work xx

Recently the cataract development has slowed... then stopped the fine work she was doing xx

SO, mum decided ... I CANNOT JUST SIT!!! The knitting needles have been reclaimed (from ME!), the wool bought ... and this beautiful blanket made....


she has not lost her touch xx OF COURSE ... it is me who was given the job of attaching the fleece to the back xx


She is VERY happy, and NOW has another blanket... and a cardigan.. on the go! THIS sounds familiar!!

Keep smiling

Diane xx

13 comments:

mammafairy said...

Is Mum not having her cataracts done yet? It sounds like a QoL issue to me, She should not have to cease her cross stitch!

mammafairy said...

PS, my daughter has a blanket from that pattern, given to her as a baby. It is 20 years old, and lives on the end of her bed, still! happy knitting!

Podunk Pretties said...

I see where your talent comes from, mums blanket is lovely!

Amanda said...

I think so many of us grew up to the sounds of knitting, crocheting and chatting. What a lovely blanket your mum has made.

SharynB said...

Good luck to her! So many don't understand that our creativity can't be stifled. We will always have those needles, or that hook or whatever and once you know how you never forget.
More power to your mum!!

Janet said...

Your mother is a stupendous knitter - especially for someone whose eyesight isn't great. Lovely blanket!

quiltmania said...

What a beautiful blanket.

Carla said...

Very pretty.

Michele said...

That blanket is gorgeous. My gram was almost 95 when she passed and right up until 1 week before she was crocheting, an afghan for my son that sadly never got finished, but she didn't let anything get her down.

Julie Fukuda said...

My great grandmother lived into her late 90s and I have tons of little doilys but she never made anything big because she thought she wouldn't finish.

Debra said...

WOW, wish I could make that WOW from a really really large font! Tell Marion anytime...I'll accept any blankets cardis etc my way! :-) My Mum only ever knitted a little, I got my enthusiasm for crochet from my ex Mum in Law, my renewed enthusiasm for crochet and knitting from my ex sister in law! She and I still head off to the craft fairs together. Now that I have been home from our big trip and had a little time to settle I will be getting my hooks, knitting needles, embroidery and sewing machine back into action to take my mind off things and also for enjoyment. Give Marion a very big hug from me please Diane, I just love her. xxx

Annabelle said...

Clever Mother and a beautiful knitter. x

Maggi said...

That is beautiful. She certainly is an accomplished knitter.