Tuesday 16 January 2018

I GOT ....

... organised this morning and made the 2 blocks for the Congleton charity raffle. You may remember I was sent the fabric and pattern last week..



It was a quick make ...


... I do have a moan though (!).. I KNOW when making charity quilts fabric is at a premium ... BUT .. gosh this was tight.. I used a scant quarter inch seam .. and just made the 8 1/2 inch block requested. When blocks are being made by multiple sewers .. and some of them not very experienced then I feel they are going to get MANY that don't make the requested size... SO.. if you are in this position .. give a bit more fabric and you will get back MORE blocks that can actually be used.

We had a birthday in the family this weekend...


.. my dad was 88. OF COURSE ......there was a cake..




when you have a BIG birthday you need a BIG candle!!!!! lol x

Feels good to have done some sewing x

Diane x

6 comments:

kiwikid said...

I agree with the fabric and blacks, only just vetting the right amount of fabric makes it very difficult. I find with vlocks made by different people they always come out differing sizes. Happy birthday to your Dad..love the cake and candle.

Jeneta said...

What a fabulous cake (LOVE the candle!)! Well done on completing the charity quilt blocks. They look great!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Well done on the blocks and yes, it is a challenge to get the blocks to come out to the size that is "required." I find it interesting that so many "off" sized blocks are returned which makes putting the top together more than challenging! The candle is OUTSTANDING. Happy Birthday to your dad. 88 is a great number!!!!

Janice Smith said...

Birthday Greetings being sent from across the pond for your dad. :-) :-)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I gave up doing block swaps as so many people can’t cut or sew accurately- I guess I didn’t when I started but organisers should have some empathy with newbies! Lovely blocks though!

Mandy Currie said...

Hello Diane, love your blocks. Talking about sizes of the blocks I received enough blocks to make a lovely double quilt but they are all different sizes and the differences are quite radical, any suggestions on what I can do to actually put them all together. I can't cut them to the smallest size as it would cut off half the appliqued pattern. Congratulations to your Dad, loved the cake and candle. xx